Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Rosie's daycare put out a request for donations of curtains and cushions a few weeks ago. There was a little note on the door that I wonder how many people read...I couldn't help out with any curtains, but I could make some cushions! Any excuse really to whip out the sewing machine and also do my bit to help out my daughters daycare :)
So I gave myself a fun little project and went through my fabrics with no real plan, just make up what came to me. I made 5 cushion covers which will hopefully brighten up the place and also survive being handled by kids and numerous washes in the washing machine.
It was a good excuse to practice my 'skills' (or lack thereof...), I wanted to try a couple of quilted tops. Quilting is hard, well maybe not top stitching part, but the lining everything up so it's all lined up properly part. So mine is a little wonky...
My favourites are the two floral ones. The leafy one is some cotton drill that I bought yonks ago when Lincraft used to be good. I made some big half square triangles and also piped the edge. The pink floral one also uses HST and bits of an op-shopped sheet, SL polka dots and some op-shopped pink stuff. That was the funnest one!
I also like the back of the bottom one in the pile (top pic) as I used up some legs of jeans I cut off a while ago to make shorts from.
Anyway I am very happy with the results and the lovely teachers from daycare liked them a lot. What was even better though is the little card that Rosie brought home with her yesterday saying 'thank you' and little pictures drawn all over it from the kids. Very cute and touches my heart!